On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Monday, October 19, 2009

Page after page

I've been reading steadily, just not posting it. Most recently I read Tracy Kidder's nonfiction piece, AMONG SCHOOLCHILDREN.

It was the third of his books that I've read - and enjoyed tremendously. I also read HOUSE and HOMETOWN. I really appreciate the depth with which Kidder goes after his subjects. After I finished HOMETOWN I felt as though I could drive into Northampton, Massachusetts - a place I've never seen - and just take up life like a townie! Not really, of course, but close.

The other book I read this month was BEAUTIFUL BOY, by David Sheff. It was a heartbreaker. Anyone who has raised a meth addicted child (thank god, I haven't) or worked professionally with same (I have, many) will recognize the frustration and sadness in the loss of relationships and potential.

David Sheff writes about his several years with his adolescent/young man son and the countless attempts at rehab and recovery. He offers a comprehensive exposition of the various treatments, the impact on the rest of the family and the sleepless nights of agony with a kid who doesn't return home during relapse. Hard reading, but well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails