On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Weekending

This week has flown and the next one will be faster. The semester is ending in May but I just added two new programs to my schedule.

Beginning tomorrow Demi will be letting kids read to her every Monday in the public library. It took several months to get this on the calendar, but I really wanted to do it so I went back again and again. Persistence pays! Every Monday afternoon the kids can flop down on the floor with me and Demi and read to a dog. How fun!



I also added the 12 hours a week at Juvenile Hall. I'm already there for a therapy group, but the additional hours are working with an artist who has several mural projects in the works. I'm his assistant. It's a combination of paid hours and volunteering because I didn't want to mess up my disability payments, which I really need. I'm superstitious that way, the day I go off disability will be the day the cancer will return, I just know it.



Finally, there's Easter Day. The grandchildren will be here. We still make up Easter baskets for them even though they are older now. Secretly, I think they like it...



Gotta go. The nursery called me because the little flowering quince I ordered has just come in. That's my afternoon project - picking it up and planting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails