On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Thursday, April 23, 2009

From my flying carpet

It's working out well to draw along with the kids at Juvenile Hall. I'm there for four hours at a time. I draw a zentangle on one unit and try my doggondest to draw something recognizable at the next stop. Lately the zentangles have been looking like flying carpets.



I haven't had much experience with Prismacolor pencils so that's taxing me a bit. I wouldn't care except that the instructor has many available and I don't want to bring in extra contraband and create new risks - so it's too everyone's advantage for me to work with what's on hand. But every time I work with some new material I learn, so that's good.

In my own class I was trying to carve a linoleum block, the first time since last semester's class when we spent a couple weeks learning how to do that. I was shocked and horrified by how much I'd forgotten! I think I'm back on board now, sort of where I left off in December, but it was mortifying to remake every possible mistake because I'd forgotten the technique. It's going to be a long weekend if I'm to come up with a project by Tuesday using a block print. Fortunately, it isn't a requirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails