On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Beet's up!

In class yesterday we were introduced to Conté crayons and toned paper. 


I immediately went for a botanical again and had brought in this gray dogwood from our front yard. It has wonderful clusters of white buds now, just ready to pop open, but I got bogged down in the leaves and left the little white balls for last. Leaves are so fun to draw! The paper,   by the way, is light green, but the other colors are pretty close to true.

I inspect my first two 4x4s a couple times a day. Yesterday I noticed that a few tiny beets had popped up - the winners, the first plants of the season - and today they were all present. There are supposed to be 16 plants because I painstakingly poked in one seed at a time. A couple had wandered to be closer to friends - maybe from the rain, maybe because of the way I watered - but everyone is accounted for. If you click on the photo you'll get a close-up. The grid bars are narrow dowels. Aren't these the cutest little beeties you've every seen?


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a smile came to my face when I looked over the enlarged photo at the 'beeties"---they do look so cunnin---and the dogwood leaves look like fun to observe and now you really 'know' them

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had posted my comment twice by mistake and it gave me the option to delete it and now it may look odd--but that's all it was---trying to get rid of a double comment entry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for the beets! The first plants of the year are always cause for excitement. Spring is here!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails