On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Unexpected beauty

Today's walking - 25 minutes with Brix and Demi


A few day's ago, Brix's best friend, Marano, had a heart attack and died at the veterinarian's office. I never thought about dogs having heart attacks so this death caught me by surprise.

Even more tragic is that Marano was an eight-year old service dog from Canine Companions for Independence who worked with a woman who desperately needed him as she is confined to a wheel chair with advanced multiple sclerosis. We're all devastated - for our friend and for Marano and his doggy buddies. Tragedy strikes in many forms.

I managed a short walk today and, following Hannah Hinchman's directives, came home with something to draw. There's tons of this cotoneaster around this area.  It's invasive but I find it lovely in its own way. The berry clusters are bright and shiny. The leaves have smooth edges, no serrations, with shiny tops and soft undersides.  

2 comments:

  1. I am sending strength to Marana and all who loved and depended on this wonderful animal. I am so sorry Barbara.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa - We're all sorry. My friend hasn't decided yet whether to get another service dog. She really needs one but is still mourning Marano.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails