On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Four new years

The way I have it figured, I have at least four years to learn how to draw President Barack Obama's portrait.  It's certainly a departure from my usual flowers and birds and puts me way back to Day One. (sigh)


I continue to be totally obsessed with our new president.  I have the highest of high hopes, know he'll make his share of mistakes but have my fingers crossed that they will be small ones.  

I wish you all could have been in the chemotherapy suite with me today.  Usually when we receive our treatments we sit quietly, shuffling through magazines, dozing, filling in crosswords or maybe watching television with headphones.  
This morning it was very different.  All the televisions were on, at normal volume with no headphones, and all of us watched this momentous time in history as it happened. Patients, staff, visitors, we all cheered!

3 comments:

  1. I think you are well on your way I recognized Obama right away and your birds are wonderful! you really do an excellent job on them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:21 AM

    Sounds like a wonderful moment you shared! Yes you've definitely captured something there - I knew it was him. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You captured the essence of Obama. I like your journaling about the moment, too. As a rare Republican in this EDM group, I don't share the high level of optimism. However, I love Democrats because I married one. And the unity spirit you describe so well is seen all over the country, and would not be seen if we had another Republican President. So, maybe good is coming. Hope your art class goes well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails