On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Celebrating life!

Today's walking - 15 minutes with Steve and Heather.

On this day, seven years ago, I was given my diagnosis -- metastatic breast cancer that had already spread through many bones and was in my liver. On Tuesday, when I saw my oncologist, I mentioned the date. "Bet you didn't expect to see me still here today!" He put his pencil down and became very serious. "The first time I saw you, the very first time, I thought 'two years' at the very most. It makes me happy."

Actually things got much worse before they got better. I never had surgery, never was hospitalized, but I did have chemotherapy and am still in treatment to this day. But I'm very much alive and truly grateful. To celebrate the day I've invited my family out to dinner this evening.

My drawing today is a poinsettia that I wanted to capture while it's still in its prime. Every December Steve brings in poinsettias to celebrate the season. I used my Crayola crayons.

6 comments:

  1. Barbara,
    It is a pleasure to enjoy your journey. You have such a zest for life in the face of difficulty. Is that your secret? I am in awe.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What a wonderful story of hope and joy! What a gift.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the crayons sketch loose and lively - and Congrats on the way you have lived these years since your diagnosis - with Joy, Bravery, and Generosity of spirit -

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your joyous pointsetta represents your joyous story! I am going to take a moment to celebrate your journey and your life! You just keep doing exactly what you are doing. By the way I have two black Labs myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a gorgeous sketch!!! Congratulations on your 8 year mark! What a wonderful story. Marva

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on being a survivor. My daughter is one, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails