On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Thursday, December 11, 2008

For the birds

It's California-cold, if you know what that is (cold for those of us who never really experience cold weather).  I keep cranking up the thermostat and the furnace keeps trying to catch up, it's just cold!


I added this page to my mixed media book for class.  I collaged and painted the background, then stamped the image from a linoleum block I carved earlier in the semester.  I like the way it turned out, much better than the three-color block prints I could never quite master.

The live birds outdoors have discovered all of the new feeders I hung in November and I see them perched and chomping throughout the day.  Some are about 60 feet from my kitchen window but others are right ON the living room window, hidden in a bush, where I can watch them close up.  Some day I'll even learn their names so I know who I'm observing.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:46 PM

    Oh wow, Barbara, this is truly awesomely beautiful! I like the bright, warm yellow very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:50 PM

    Goodness, just wanted to add, I just met Kozy at the bottom of your sidebar and made him purr. What a nice & sweet surprise! A virtual kitty is just the thing for me...

    =)
    Pippa

    ReplyDelete
  3. lino block prints are such fun! and the bird looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a lovely job on this. I love your bird. And the yellow is SO uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the depth achieved through mixed media. I keep wanting to play around with some more collage myself - I think your birdie might just give me the inspiration!!

    The lino image is great and is so effective on the textured background - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - this is so beautiful. Reminds me of the birds round my feeders. Absolutely love the colours

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did an awesome job on this! Such a cheery way to start my day. Stay warm in California ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just a wonderful image - I love the inked texture of the bird

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails