On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Thursday, June 26, 2008

The royal couple

Just as I thought the fires were losing ground I heard a news report this evening that there are now over 1,000 fires up and down the state. The air smells smokey and I haven't seen the sun in days.

Usually there are rainbows dancing all over the dining room floor as the sun hits the prism in the window but today, I noticed, even the rainbows are gone.

I had some free time today so I got caught up in much needed dusting. We have hundreds of books and more arrive every month, a true addiction. Today I dusted 20 shelves and all the volumes they held, only a portion of the entirety.

Along the way I found old favorites and new acquisitions that I still hope to read (some day...) The bottom shelf of one bookcase holds all the children's books that were kept for visiting grandchildren. Several are stories of King Babar and his Queen Celeste. How well I remember the adventures and antics of their children, the elephant triplets Pom, Flora and Alexander.

I would be a wealthy woman if a had a dollar for every hour I read those tales over and over again -- to my kids and to kids in daycare years ago. It's one of my most pleasant memories, a child or two on each side of me as we pored over the episodes of elephant babies falling over cliffs, swimming with the aligators and other scary events. In the end no one ever got seriously hurt but we would hold our collective breaths all the same.

1 comment:

  1. oh i love babar and queen celeste too...such lovely stories...great job

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails