On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Settling into place

We're settling down a bit after receiving yesterday's news about Demi's progressive health issue. I'm posting her formal Turn-In portrait, taken in May, 2006 when she was 20 months old. She began Advanced Training, successfully completed the entire six months but didn't make a match in Team Training. So she trained for two more months and was matched in a side placement in January, 2007. She is now 3-1/2 years old.

What's especially heartbreaking to me is knowing how hard Demi struggled to live after she was born. Her litter was more than a week premature (that's a long time for dogs) and all the other puppies died. Demi was given to a caretaker when she weighed a mere six ounces and was fed with an eye-dropper until she was strong enough to nurse from a surrogate dog. And then she thrived and began Kindergarten Puppy Training on schedule at eight weeks. Demi is a full labrador retriever but quite small for her breed, never getting over 50 pounds and often several pounds less.



We always enjoyed Demi. She was a sweet puppy to raise and was usually well-behaved, not the kind of dog who gets into things. There was one day which was an exception -- the day Brix got a bag of flour out of the cupboard and Demi joined in the mischief. Here's a picture of my Flour Girl.

1 comment:

  1. What an incredible "Circle of Life"! I grieve with all of you, and I Celebrate this Wonderful Life! I love the picture of your Flour Girl. I am even more touched because I was the Very Proud Pet of Shelby- an American Black Lab. She took very good care of Us. She was the opposite of your Demi. However, I was told She was taken because She was a runt. She became a Beauty on The Grand Size. A huge American Lab.
    ((( Grand Circle of Hugs to ease the Loss, and to make the Memories Brilliant))).

    Sherrie R.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails