On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, March 01, 2008

For 28 days in March

Today Beulie and I went to a full day workshop on art therapy. I earned six continuing education units and she got six hours of sleep under the table.

I was so proud of Beulie! I have to give her back to Canine Companions for Independence in 74 days, and by then I'm hoping she will have mastered the first 30 commands and is well socialized. Well, she's already well socialized - today was one proof of that. There is no way she could have improved her behavior today. She did everything I asked her to do and she slept at my feet when I was focused on learning new skills I can bring to the kids at Juvenile Hall. It was a great day.

Unwinding at home this evening, I began a new sketchbook. Yesterday Beulie and I walked over to our local art supplies store where I found a wonderful watercolor sketchbook with 28 pages. The wheels began to whirl. If I begin the book today, work daily with three allowable misses, I could fill the entire book in the month of March. So them's my marching orders, self-assigned, and a goal I hope to meet. And I'm so invested in this task that I'm hoping it develops into a habit, something I do every month. My new sketchbook is 8.5 x 11 inches, fits my scanner perfectly (a problem with larger sizes) and the watercolor paper is substantial. Today I worked in watercolor pencil, Micron pen and Sharpie. This cow, by the way, lives in Modesto, one home of great California cheese. You wanted to know that, right?

2 comments:

  1. Barbara, you are an amazing woman. I really admire you eagerness to learn more and new stuff every day as well as your eagerness to improve your artistic skills. I love the cow painting btw.
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you again, Meinhild. Cows seem to be suddenly popular with EDMers now! - Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails