On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Thursday, March 27, 2008

A day for the dogs

Beulie's class met this evening at Canine Companions for Independence in Santa Rosa, California. I walked around with my camera and snapped some portraits but, alas, I don't have the names reliably learned.






Here's tonight's class in the training room. These dogs will enter Advanced Training in either May or August, depending on their age. The two dogs wearing scarves, not capes, have already begun regular employment as breeder dogs, such a life.



I also have some photos of my three at home.

Beulie knows she's cute. I keep telling her, "Beulie, it isn't enough to get by with your looks and your charm. If you want to be a service dog you also have to know the skills and be willing to work."


Parisse is the weird one. She spends most of her life on earth vegging out in one of two chairs.


And don't ever think that dogs don't like to drive. Here's Brix, just as delighted with himself as any adolescent with a new license. Beulie is always ready for a ride.

2 comments:

  1. What a good looking group of students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dogs. You wouldn't want to train my german shorthair pointer would you? LOL. My Sarah is a gentle but large dog in a house with 3 other small dogs plus she has energy that never ends. Typically she jumps the fence every afternoon and runs for miles and miles around a 40 acre lot (okay, she exceeds her boundaries a bit but seems to stay in an 80 acre area). The only command she obeys is "sit" but that's because instead of training her, I work on art stuff. Naughty me, good Sarah!

    I just came to visit via our Love to Journal Class.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails