On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Practice, practice, practice

It's lucky for me that Beulie sleeps so much and will usually hold a position long enough for me to practice drawing her. I love to draw my dogs! I like to make that large arc from the head around the body and take note of the tail tucked in to complete the circle. Dogs are naturally graceful that way.

I recall a friend telling me years ago that she never drew a face or object that she didn't then love. I can understand that now. The more time I take with one drawing, the more details I notice, - the more I see this animal or person or object as unique from every other one of its kind and therefore appreciate it so much more.

But that's not why I want to learn to draw. I want to learn to draw because I feel compelled to and the fringe benefit is that I observe so much more. I often feel as though I wander through the world without sight but when I draw I begin to see.

Also this evening I drew another favorite subject, the little bridge in a local park. It's a preliminary sketch for the homework I plan to complete tomorrow for Kate Johnson's online watercolor pencil class. I'll redraw it tomorrow and eventually add color and landscaping. There are tall weeds and flowering plants nearby that I hope I can work into the drawing tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:06 PM

    This dog is adorable and you so captured it!! It looks like a very loved dog! deni.....;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deni -- Thank you for stopping by! - Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice dog sketch, I only wish our dogs were so sleepy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails