On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Groundhog Day 2008

It rained heavily all day today, a nonstop rain with wind. Thirty inches of snow is predicted in the Sierra from this storm, but we just get the rain.

I had a hard time pulling it together and slept late, took a nap and then another one. Last week was difficult and I guess it's caught up with me. It's hard to wonder about CT scan results and continue to work and try not to worry, all at the same time.

A member of my cancer support group died today, not unexpectedly, but sad all the same. I saw her about 10 days ago and could see that she wouldn't live much longer even though she was up and dressed and conversing normally. Her color was poor and she spoke as though she had made her decision to move on. Whenever anyone from the group dies I can't help but wonder, Who's next?

I saw a wonderful documentary this evening, a Christmas gift that I finally watched. "Heart of the Sea," is the story of Rell Sunn, a Hawaiian championship surfer, who contracted breast cancer at age 31 and died a few years ago when she was 47. It's a wonderful film showing her activism both in getting kids involved in surfing and in educating women about breast cancer. Unfortunately the DVD is not available through NetFlix or Amazon but I did see it on the website, Women Make Movies, for $24.95 and encourage others to watch it. If you must contract cancer, there are ways and styles of living with it and Rell's was exemplary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails