On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Friday, September 07, 2007

Dang pears

My Monday night pastel class met on August 27th and then had a two week break because of the Labor Day holiday. I finally got started on the homework and am finding it very difficult. We're working with black, gray and white before we launch into color. You'd think a simple pear would be easy to draw but that's not true for me. And then there are the cast shadows. In this case, the shadows were directly in front of the pears, between me and the pears, and the project looks off kilter and I don't know how to fix it. So......I have the weekend and hope to practice, practice, practice....which means some repititions until I get the hang of it.

In the meantime, it is subtly turning into fall here in northern California. Everything is lush and green, the grapes have yet to be harvested, but there are leaves in the street, goldfinches are back at the sock feeders and the light has shifted to something much softer than the July-August glare. Since summer is my least favorite season I am delighted with the changes and find myself watching, watching, watching.....

1 comment:

  1. Pears CAN be so beautiful, but they are devilish, aren't they?!! I haven't tried to do them in hard pastels... but wonder if you've tried in soft pencil? They are easier to blend/erase and adjust than conte, anyway. The other thing that ight help you see the values is to take a photo, then scan it (if you have a scanner, with the contrast turned on really high.) Pops the lights and darks right out! Hope it gets moe fun. No point in doing stuff that isn't fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails