On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Sunday, July 29, 2007

The knitting circle

I seem to be specializing in rather sad books this year - but that isn't really a complaint because I'm enjoying them. This week I read Ann Hood's, THE KNITTING CIRCLE, a novel about a young woman whose life is torn apart after the death of her five year old daughter. Her grief leads her to a group of women who knit and who teach her to knit. Each of the women in the knitting circle has a story of anguish as great as her own. But knitting consoles them and weaves them together as they heal and as their friendships strengthen.

You never know where the ideas of a novel will come together in your own life. Surprise, surprise, when I got to the half-way point in reading this book I took myself over to our local yarn store and bought the basics for a small project. Two days later I called the owner and asked if there was room for me in the sock knitting class. And then I went to my first lesson where a kind lady sat with me and showed me how to get started. So now I have that project to work on until the next lesson and I guess I'm sort of in a knitting circle myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails