On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

New ways of healing

I am open to alternative ways to facilitate healing. When I was most sick and was dying, I was referred to a physician who specialized in visualization. I began seeing him every month to stimulate my immune system. I was also getting a different chemotherapy. I don't know what happened and why, I only know that I am still alive five years later. I understand that it could well be the change in chemotherapy. It could also be the visualization, a practice I maintained with that doctor once a month for about two years. I do know that if my health status changed I would go back to him and begin visualization work again.

I bring this up because I am now taking a class through our community college on experiential art processes. Yesterday we were introduced to the mandala as a way to facilitate healing. I want to dedicate one of my sketchbooks to the almost daily process of drawing one mandala and see where that takes me. At the very least, mandalas are balanced and beautiful and I would enjoy them for that alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails